As if the whole anti-abortion speak wasn't enough to incite your feminist fire, we've got news today about 14 women's rights groups in Canada who have been defunded in the last 2 weeks, including Match International, who has been getting regular funding for decades.
Despite the denial from the conservatives, one has no choice but to make the connection between these funding cuts (to organizations that openly disagree with the government's practices) and the party's larger ideological leanings.
How can we have an accountable, democratic government if organizations who are critical of it get their funding axed? How can we stand idly by while our civil society gets weakened? What can we do?
Well, I for one am not staying silent on the issue. It's not even 'just' about abortion. This is the current MINORITY government poisoning Canada with extreme Right-wing ideology. And I'm not taking it. Join me!!!
The groups include:
1. Canadian Research Institute for the Advancement of Women (CRIAW)
2. CERA (Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation);
3. Conseil d'intervention pour l'accès des femmes au travail (around for 25 years).
4. New Brunswick Pay Equity Coalition,
5. le Réseau des Tables régionales de groupes de femmes du Québec
6. Alberta Network of Immigrant Women
7. Centre de documentation sur l'éducation des adultes et la condition feminine
8. Association féminine d'éducation et d'action sociale (AFEAS)
9. Ontario Association of Interval and Transition Houses (OAITH) (a 75-member coalition primarily of first stage emergency shelters for abused women.)
"Your silence will not protect you".--Audre Lorde
Voici le reportage de Radio-Canada:
Check out the Globe and Mail article.
for a critical look on Canada's international efforts on Women's rights, see
'Politicizing, Undermining Gender Equality' in today's Embassy